The Mercedes-Benz E-Class offers one of the most extensive model lines in the mid-luxury segment, with Sedan, Coupe, Cabriolet and Wagon models, along with numerous powertrain choices, from the E250 BlueTEC clean-diesel that achieves 42-mpg EPA-estimated highway fuel economy to the track-ripping AMG E63 S with a hand-built AMG 5.5-liter V8 Biturbo engine producing 577 hp. The renowned Mercedes-Benz 4MATIC all-wheel drive system is available in sedan, wagon, coupe and cabriolet body styles.
The E-Class is the only car in its segment to offer the Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive assistance systems (sedan and wagon), which are also featured in the S-Class. These groundbreaking technologies that can help prevent accidents with pedestrians or vehicles crossing in front, Active Lane Keeping Assist for avoiding collisions with oncoming traffic and anti-glare continuous high-beam headlamps.
This extensive family of luxury automobiles includes:
Sedan and Wagon
- E250 BlueTEC RWD and 4MATIC Sedan: 2.1-liter 4-cylinder turbodiesel: 195 hp/369 lb.-ft.
- E350 RWD or 4MATIC Sedan and E350 4MATIC Wagon: (direct-injection 3.5-liter V6: 302 hp/273 lb.-ft.
- E400 RWD and 4MATIC Sport SCoupe and Cabriolet edan: turbocharged direct-injection 3.0-liter biturbo V6: 329 hp/354 lb.-ft.
- AMG E63 S 4MATIC Sedan and Wagon: AMG 5.5-liter V8 Biturbo (577 hp/590 lb-ft)
Coupe and Cabriolet
- E400 Coupe RWD and 4MATIC and E400 Cabriolet RWD: direct-injection 3.0-liter V6 (329 hp, 354 lb.-ft.)
- E550 Coupe and Cabriolet: direct-injection 4.6-liter biturbo V8 (402 hp, 443 lb.-ft.)
All E-Class engines are equipped with the ECO start/stop system to boost fuel economy. Non-AMG models have 7-speed automatic transmission with DIRECT SELECT lever and DIRECT SELECT shift paddles, which features short-term M mode. If the driver shifts up or down manually, the transmission independently switches back to the fuel-efficient automatic shift mode after a pre-determined interval.
The AMG E63 S Sedan and Wagon are equipped with the AMG SPEEDSHIFT 7-speed MCT and 4MATIC.
mbrace2 Connectivity Standard for 2016
Mercedes-Benz, which pioneered automatic emergency calling in automobiles, has upgraded its mbrace2 Connected Car Services for 2016, making the new mbrace2 Connect package standard for all models, along with five years of complimentary service.
The mbrace2 Connect package includes Mobile App, Web Services, Roadside Connection, MB Apps (non-streaming), Vehicle Homepage (for electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids), Diagnostics Data and Remote Update for five years. In addition, customers can choose from three mbrace2 subscription upgrade packages: “Secure,” “Concierge” and “Entertain.”
Upgrades Outside and Inside
A newly available AMG Night Package for the 2016 AMG E63 S Sedan and Wagon underscores the sporty character of the vehicle with the addition of black gloss trim along the A-Wing insert, the window frames, exterior mirror housing, and rocker panel insert. Inside, the E-Class sedan and wagon gain a new-generation head unit for 2016, which, among other features, eliminates the need for an additional Media Interface cable – the customer can now use a USB cable. In addition, phone calls will sound clearer thanks to new HD Voice for compatible mobile devices.
The Mercedes E-Class Sedans continue to offer a choice of two front-end designs. The Luxury version features the 3-louver grille and star on the hood. The Sport version uses the sports grille with integrated star, forming a visual link to the brand's sports car models. The Sport also features the AMG styling package with its larger air intakes and a distinct aluminum trim line along the entire lower rim of the front bumper. Exposed dual exhaust pipes are another Sport design cue.
For both designs, the headlight units integrate all light functions within a single lens. Low beam and daytime running lights both come with partial LED as standard, while E-Class was first in its segment to offer full-LED headlamps as an option. The LED tail lamps have a horizontal design that emphasizes the width of the vehicle, while the two-tone look comes with a distinctive nighttime signature.
The E-Class, which received a significant design enhancement for 2014, features a decidedly sporty yet elegant cabin. The 3-tube instrument cluster, central controller with a 7-inch, high-resolution display, and the analog clock between the two central vents show attention to detail that is synonymous with the brand.
The trim extending across the entire soft-touch dashboard is available in two wood finishes, burl walnut or black ash.
Coupe: Pillarless Purity
The E-Class Coupe is the only car in its segment with a pillarless “hardtop” design. The side view through four power side windows is uninterrupted by framework. The cabin is a classic 4-seat GT design with all four of its seats covered in hand-fitted leather. The front seats are heated and 14-way power adjustable, and ventilated front seats are available.
The standard Panorama roof features a large expanse of heat-reflecting tinted glass. The only power all-glass roof in its class, the front portion tilts up or slides open at the touch of a button. A power-sliding screen filters sunlight.
Cabriolet: 20 Seconds to Sunshine
Exquisitely crafted from three layers nearly a full inch thick, the rich fabric power soft top is designed to provide coupe-like silence in the cabin. Large windows, precise tailoring and a choice of four colors deliver sleek style with the top up. In just 20 seconds it vanishes into the trunk, leaving a generous 8.8 cubic ft. of cargo space. The Cabriolet models feature a higher level of standard equipment. Leather, available in a wide array of colors, is exactingly topstitched and hand-fitted to the four individually contoured seats. Hand-polished Burl Walnut, Black Ash or Linden wood trim is liberally applied throughout the cabin.
Dual-Zone automatic climate control; power adjustable front seats, including lumbar adjust and 3-position memory; tilt/telescoping steering column and exterior mirrors with memory; multifunction leather-wrapped steering wheel; auto-dimming driver and rearview mirrors; power tilt/sliding sunroof with one-touch open/close.
The standard COMAND system features a sound system with AM/FM/WB radio, in-dash DVD/CD player, in-dash memory card slot, auxiliary input jack and Bluetooth® interface for hands-free calling. Also standard are SiriusXM Satellite Radio, SiriusXM Traffic and Weather (with 3 year subscriptions included).
Among available options include SiriusXM satellite radio, harman/kardon® Logic 7® surround sound, power rear window sunshade, active ventilated front seats; Parking Assist package, Lane Tracking package and Driver Assistance package. The available KEYLESS-GO package includes a power trunk closer. HANDSFREE ACCESS, available on the E-Class Sedan and E-Class Wagon, enables opening and closing of the trunk lid by simply holding your foot beneath the bumper.
Mercedes-Benz offers three suspension configurations for the 2016 E-Class. Configured for comfort, the AGILITY CONTROL suspension with stroke-dependent damping system is the standard setup for the Luxury model. In the Sport model, the AGILITY CONTROL suspension with stroke-dependent damping system is 15mm lower and has a firmer, sportier setup. The E63 AMG comes with the AMG Adaptive Sport Suspension.
All E-Class models are fitted with an electromechanical rack-and-pinion Direct-Steer system. This system combines speed-sensitive power steering with a variable ratio across the steering angle range. The steering system contributes towards efficiency, as energy is consumed only while steering. The electric steering system also facilitates Active Parking Assist.
Mercedes Intelligent Drive
Mercedes-Benz paved the foundation of the road toward autonomous mobility with technologies such as PRE-SAFE® and DISTRONIC PLUS®, which merged safety and convenience. The current E-Class Sedan and Wagon introduced an array of additional technologies, among them DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist, that the company calls Intelligent Drive. The new S-Class and C-Class also gained these features.
New state-of-the-art sensors and their associated algorithms make the new features possible. Mercedes-Benz has taken a major step forward with the introduction of the Stereo Multi-Purpose Camera. Like the previous Mono Multi-Purpose Camera, it is located on the windshield near the rearview mirror. However, this camera features two "eyes," set at an angle of 45 degrees, to produce a three-dimensional view of the area up to 55 yards in front of the vehicle and with an overall range of up to 550 yards.
The stereo camera gathers data for processing by various systems using intelligent algorithms. The systems can detect vehicles traveling in front, oncoming or crossing and evaluate this three-dimensional visual information to determine their speed and position. They can also identify pedestrians within a large field of vision.
Along with the Stereo Multi-Purpose Camera, the E-Class also introduced enhanced versions of the Multi-Mode Radar sensor system. COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS, a radar-based collision warning system with Adaptive Brake Assist is standard equipment on the sedan, wagon, coupe and cabriolets. It helps to reduce the risk of a rear-end collision. Also part of standard equipment is ATTENTION ASSIST®, which now warns of inattentiveness and drowsiness across a wider range, and provides visual information on attention level and time driven since the last break.
Intelligent Drive technologies include:
- DISTRONIC PLUS® with Steering Assist can help the driver keep the vehicle centered in its lane and can semi-autonomously follow in-line traffic.
- The Brake Assist system BAS PLUS® with Cross-Traffic Assist is able to detect crossing traffic and pedestrians, and boost the braking power applied by the driver accordingly.
- The PRE-SAFE® Brake can detect pedestrians as well as initiate autonomous braking.
- PRE-SAFE® PLUS can identify an imminent rear-end collision and then prompt the PRE-SAFE® system to trigger occupant protection measures that reduce the forces exerted on passengers. If the vehicle is stationary, it can also help prevent secondary accidents in the event of a rear-end collision by applying the brakes.
- Active Lane Keeping Assist can detect when the adjacent lane is not clear, including the presence of oncoming traffic, overtaking vehicles, crash barriers etc. Under threat of a collision, even if the lane marking is not a solid line, the system can prevent the vehicle from leaving its lane unintentionally by applying the brakes on one side. This system pairs seamlessly with Active Blind Spot Assist.
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist PLUS allows the high beams to remain permanently switched on without dazzling traffic by masking out other vehicles in the beams' cone of light.
- Active Parking Assist enables automated parking with active steering and brake control in both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
- The Surround View Camera will cover all four sides of the vehicle and enable a 360-degree view including virtual bird's-eye perspective – a top view of the vehicle and its immediate surroundings. Dynamic guidelines help during parking and maneuvering.